Monday, September 10, 2012

A Day to Remember

Sorry for the late post.

Every year I really try and teach my students why we remember September 11th. This year will prove to be even more interesting now that I teach 5th graders. I am looking forward to hearing their thoughts, questions, and discussions. What is pretty interesting is that my students have already brought the subject up numerous times. They have made connections to 9/11 and the Civil War, and the questions, thoughts, and feelings are astounding! How you ask...it all stemmed from a mentor text The Librarian of Basra. This book is amazing. It also gives an interesting view point of the war. My students could have spent days discussing the connections and asking questions, they were so curious.






Also this year will be a little different because most of these students were not even born before this happened. It is so important as teachers to tell our stories, our connections, and our feelings of this tragic event. We lived it! We need to make sure our students remember.

So I hope you talk to your students tomorrow or read a book, maybe even watch a video...just remember.

Because it is our job as educators and as Americans to never forget, to pass this piece and time in history down to our students and children!

Here are a few things that you may be able to use tomorrow.

Picture books: 







Brainpop has a good, free movie of 9/11

http://www.brainpop.com/socialstudies/ushistory/september11th/

A great time lapse video showing the rebuilding of Ground Zero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x8R_mTjxtU&feature=related


I will never forget! To those that lost their lives on that fateful day and to all of those who have since sacrificed their time and lives so that we may be free!

Thank you to my family members (my husband, my sister, my brother, and my nephew) who have fought in this war so that I may have the freedom to teach my students about their freedoms!